Cold temperatures are here, and that means furnaces all around Victorville and Apple Valley are working overtime. When furnaces are called upon to do their job, problems from lack of maintenance or unattended repairs can cause problems. This can be annoying, uncomfortable, or even dangerous, depending on the temperatures, so finding a solution becomes urgent.
Here are some of the top reasons furnaces and heating systems malfunction.
Top Reasons for Furnace Problems in High Desert
- Furnace filters clog up for a variety of reasons. High Desert winds and dust storms can put extra strain on furnace filters as the system draws in air from the outside for heating and dust particles are trapped in filters.
- Household pets and homes where there is a lot of traffic from outside to inside also add dust and particles to the air which then get trapped in the furnace filter as the air is recirculated in the house. Heating systems can have more than one filter, and not maintaining the filters is a common reason for poor furnace performance.
- Thermostat malfunction is another common cause of a malfunctioning heating system in Victorville and Apple Valley. When this control device is not working, the fan motor may fail to come on, or the air flowing through the system may not be at the right temperature.
- The good news is that replacing a thermostat is a fairly simple and inexpensive repair. Newer thermostats also have lots more options for controlling comfort level and saving energy, and replacing an old unit with a smart thermostat can pay for itself in energy savings within a year or two.
- Furnace pilots and ignition switch problems are another common source of malfunctions in heating systems. This can cause the system to work intermittently or to fail to come on at all. Often, clogging of small holes in the pilot light or failing electrical parts are the source of the problem.
- Replacement and maintenance of furnace pilots and ignition control switches is a repair for trained heating technicians. But for an expert, fixing a problem like this can be fairly straightforward and simple.
Other common furnace problems involve failing fan motor belts, worn motor bearings, and other normal wear and tear found in heating system components. You can avoid furnace problems by having the system regularly serviced by a specialist from Elite Climate Control, call us right away if you need repairs now.